15 November 2010

Do you have a soul? Betty White knows.

Because I'm a super cool badass, late one night this weekend I found myself tipsy on wine and flipping through channels until I stumbled on The Golden Girls. Most of my childhood memories involve cows or network television, so I have vague memories of watching the show on TV. In my head, I cataloged it with the morass of multicamera sitcoms on TV today (Exhibit A: Two and a Half Men). But I found myself enjoying the show. It was funny. And sincere.

The episode I watched was a series of vignettes -- one was a flashback of Betty White's character, Rose, in St. Olaf, Minnesota. (What?!?! That's not a town! It's a college! I know, I know. It's just TV. Everything's going to be okay.) In the scene, Rose celebrates her first birthday since her husband died. Parts of it are a little silly, but she's so genuine that it's compelling. I think that's why 2010 has been the Year of Betty White -- we're used to watching actors try so hard, but Betty's so earnest, it's refreshing.

And, I confess, I got a little choked up at the end of the scene. No, you know what? Eff that. If you don't get choked up watching the end of the scene, you probably don't have a soul.

So, without further ado, I give you the Betty White Do You Have A Soul? Test:

No comments:

Post a Comment