10 April 2009

Of pets

I don't remember how it came up, but the other night, Emily asked, "If someone offered you a $1 million to get rid of Henry, would you take it?"

I still don't know my answer.

There are a number of ways a million bucks would come in handy...paying off student loans or funding graduate studies come to mind. But I think of Henry like...a child. He's a little person with a personality and opinions (typically centered around his undying love for mouse tail-like objects) and feelings.

When I actually think about how I've come to look at Henry as a person, it makes me uncomfortable. It's not how I was raised. On the farm, pets were never allowed inside the house, and at some point, my parents confessed to drowning baby kittens and puppies before my siblings and I found out about them. On the Curl farm, animals didn't equal humans.

Henry is my first actual pet, and even though I know that he's incapable of such complex human emotions, I feel like he loves Emily and me. I feel like if he was given the choice between us and anyone else in the world, he'd pick us right away.

I suppose this anthropomorphizing isn't particularly dangerous, unless it turns into this:

And The Onion has something to say as well.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, so they took the cats away from them because of neglect, and then they euthanized them?! St. Anthony only allows up to 3 cats per household? That's ridiculous!

    I wouldn't have given up Crawley for a million...

    Check out this guy with a cat ranch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VswBKrPuAQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, this doesn't really explain the extent of the situation with this couple. Their trailer was literally rotting away from cat and human feces and urine, and all of the cats had many diseases... It is incredibly sad that they had to be put down, but there was not much chance for a decent life for any of them. I feel bad for the couple, but only because they are mentally unstable.

    That being said... I will probably be tempted to own more cats than I should in my lifetime. And I don't think I will ever be able to trade one for any amount of money.

    ReplyDelete