16 February 2009

Just like Britney, I'm back and leading the circus

First, you think, Eh, I'll take a day off from the blog. And then a day turns into two, two turns into three, and here we are, almost a week without a new post.

I'm sure you all (all 4 of you) have been deeply saddened by the lack of posting activity.

Anyway, I'm starting to stew over the Oscars more and hope to have a post up about my thoughts by the end of this week. (Anticipation!) I still need to see The Wrestler, which I also hope to accomplish by the week's end.

Last night, I saw Coraline (in 3D!). It was great. It reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth. But seriously, I highly recommend Coraline. The storyline (thank you, Neil Gaiman) was excellent. The movie knew what it was, committed to that, and filled out the details with enchanting visual gestures. It was stunning just to watch. And I thought the 3D aspects were well done -- subtle and purposeful.

I read about the advent of 3D in cinema in the City Pages about a month-and-a-half ago. The article focused on DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg's belief that in the future we'll think of 3D effects the same way we think about sound and color now. I found the argument compelling, but those types of arguments always sound convincing to me. Then I hear someone who actually knows something tell me otherwise, and I feel like an idiot.

Speaking of which, I've read quite a bit of follow-up on Walter Isaacson's piece in Time about paying for online media content that is currently free. Originally, I thought Isaacson made some valid points, but then I read Michael Kinsley's response in the NY Times:

Micropayment advocates imagine extracting as much as $2 a month from readers. The Times sells just over a million daily papers. If every one of those million buyers went online and paid $2 a month, that would be $24 million a year. Even with the economic crisis, paper and digital advertising in The Times brought in about $1 billion last year. Circulation brought in $668 million. Two bucks per reader per month is not going to save newspapers.
If you're really interested in new media, you can read some opinions by people who actually have experience and knowledge about the topic, which have been aggregated by our good friends at the NY Times. And one of them belongs to MinnPost's Joel Kramer, who advocates free online content and higher-priced premium content in print form.

Oh, and on Valentine's Day, I tried to make a heart-shaped pancake for Emily. I suck:

1 comment: