04 February 2009

I am, like, so not self-involved

The 25 Things list sensation is sweeping the Facebook nation! And now I'm going to spread it to the blog world!!!

Actually, what I find most interesting is the process that everyone goes through before actually doing it. There is the seemingly required pretense of I usually don't like to talk about myself this much, but everyone is doing this, and so I guess I will too!

That's the benefit of being in some kind of public arena like Facebook: you get to look at other people and they look at you. Hell, the latter is pretty much the whole reason of having a blog. And the list is a seriously under-valued genre.

I actually found writing my list to be kind of therapeutic, so here it is:

1) When I was young, my brother played the Pharaoh in a high school production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I listened to the soundtrack of the show religiously, and to this day, I know all the words to all the songs.

2) In middle school, I created a new Star Trek series that centered on a training ship for Star Fleet cadets. My character was the budding leader who was destined for greatness and the primary love interest of the hot female cadet. I made a uniform out of a t-shirt, a shoe string, and sparkly glue.

3) When instant messaging or texting or any electronic communicating, I try stick to the technical rules of grammar and use capital letters, full words, etc.

4) If I could pick anything to be successful at, it'd be writing. It's hard for me to write. I don't think I'm a good writer. But I love it.

5) I try to understand life through art, and I mean art broadly: music, plays, books, movies, poetry, visual art, etc.

6) I want to help other people understand life through things I create.

7) I was really haphazard about my college search and only kind of stumbled on Coe College. Best stumbling I've ever done.

8) I think farts are hilarious. And I always will.

9) My Grandma Curl died when I was 15 years old. She was such an important person in my childhood. I wish more than anything that I could talk to her, and I often wonder if she'd be proud of me and what I'm doing with my life.

10) I love the combination of good scotch and a cigar. Delicious.

11) Someday I hope to play Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof. When alone in my apartment, I sometimes sing and dance along to the soundtrack.

12) I was 16 years old before I had my first kiss.

13) For about two months in 2006, I convinced myself that I was Edward R. Murrow reincarnated.

14) My favorite writer is David Sedaris.

15) I want to wear blue jeans most days of my life. I am not a fan of dress slacks, but I love suit jackets.

16) I feel like my vocabulary and grammar are far inferior to those of most other English majors.

17) When I was in elementary school, I found a fully-illustrated guide to sexual positions in the Charles City Public Library. I cherished that book and spent many hours plotting a scheme to steal it. One day, I went to look at it, and it was gone. It never came back. I was devastated.

18) I still don't know why my parents named me Tanner. I've asked them, and they always respond, "We just kinda liked it." I hated the name in my childhood, but now I like it.

19) I have only puked twice in the past 14 years.

20) Sometimes I like listening to catchy music that doesn't have good lyrics.

21) Most of the food I eat is either a carb or a dairy product.

22) After graduating from Coe and saying goodbye to my friends, I cried for half of the two-hour drive to Charles City.

23) I admire Bob Marrs very much. I don't want to be exactly like him, but I aspire to his ideals. I keep a key to the Coe Writing Center on my key ring to remind me of those ideals.

24) I don't read as often as I should. And too much of my reading consists of political blogs.

25) This list took me two hours to write.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely wanted to start my 25 with that preface... I'm a private person who has learned that keeping to myself and observing others is better. But as I started writing, I remembered what I tell other people about the secret to interviewing, meeting people - everyone loves to talk about themselves. And it was actually kind of fun thinking of 25 unique things. I might post mine to my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, the only people I know for which #7 isn't true are crazy physics people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, FWIW, your vocabulary and written voice (and speaking style for that matter) have always been rather impressive to me. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit on that count. You wrote a pretty great thesis after all.

    ReplyDelete