25 February 2009

Echoes of the past

I came across this Sergei Larenkov photography project via Andrew Sullivan. Larenkov took black-and-white photos of St. Petersburg (then called Leningrad) during the 1941-1944 siege by the Nazis and morphed them with color pictures of St. Petersburg today.

You can see all the photographs at this website, but here are a couple of the more powerful images:
When I was a little kid and spent hours wandering aimlessly across Iowa farm fields, I frequently imagined what might have been experienced on the very land I was standing on. I imagined dinosaurs or Native American camps or wagon trains. I was pretty young, so I didn't have much of an understanding of anything, and my little daydreams were fairly idealized. But there was something poignant about feeling so connected to the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment