08 January 2009

Meet Henry

Emily and I adopted Henry from the Coon Rapids Humane Society last June. At the time, Emily was gung-ho and I was skeptical. When we adopted him, I never thought I could be one of those people who talk about a cat as if it was a person (and a unique little animal-person, at that).

But here I am, writing this post.

In no particular order, here are some of Henry's favorite activities:

  • Sleeping.
  • Looking out the window (preferably at birds or squirrels).
  • Enacting a morning routine. As in, he will sit on us in bed and lick us until we wake up and feed him. Then, he promptly eats about two kernels of his food and goes about his day.
  • Cleaning himself. The sound of his licking is surprisingly/disturbingly loud.
  • Eating anything that looks string-like. In December, he ate part of a large rubber band, prompting me to closely monitor his bowel movements for a week. (My life is exciting.)
  • Listening to Philip Glass music. Okay, this isn't actually Henry's thing, but I love to turn on the soundtrack from The Hours really loud and watch Henry. It makes him seem so intensely dramatic. (Again, my life is exciting.)
  • Killing inanimate objects. He has a particular disdain for ribbon. If there is a ribbon in our apartment, Henry has at least tried -- and most likely succeeded -- to kill it.
  • Pooping on the wall. Okay, he only did this once, but it was hilarious. It prompted me to add "poop-waller" to his list of nicknames. (Yes, I know it should be "wall-pooper," but I accidentally said "poop-waller" once and thought it to be funnier than "wall-pooper.")

3 comments:

  1. Tanner Curl. I didn't know you had a blog and now I do. So there's that.

    I just performed Oedipus at a bad-ass boarding school in PA (a brand-new arts building and generally better facilities than most colleges I've seen) and Philip Glass is visiting their school at the end of the term... I left the school green with envy. You should tell Henry this story, I bet he'll be green with envy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been listening to Philip Glass quite a bit lately, and not just because it's an entertaining soundtrack to Henry's life.

    But seriously, I've started to wonder if my enjoyment of film scores is attached to some latent desire to make my own life more interesting/dramatic.

    I hope your tour of bad-ass boarding schools continues to go well. May the force be with you.

    And, uh, you got any gum?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read this post in the public library computer lab, trying to contain my laughter in silent, shaking snickers, but it escaped as an embarrasingly loud gasp of air. well done sir.

    this is betsy by the by.

    ReplyDelete